Information for Authors
1. Title should be concise (no more than 20 words) and spelled with initial capital letter instead of all capital letters at the first page of manuscript.
2. All submissions should be accompanied by the first page of manuscript listing (1) full first names and (2) surnames (surnames must be typed in bold script to discriminate it from first name), affiliations and addresses of the authors
3. A corresponding author's name, and e-mail address must be specified separately from the author's names at the first page of manuscript.
4. A structured abstract of no more than 200 words must be provided at the 2nd page of manuscript and contain the following (one example):
1) Objective: An introductory sentence indicating the objective and purpose of the study.
2) Design: A briefly worded description of the study design.
3) Materials and Methods: Quantity and quality of Materials and a description of experimental procedures including applicable statistical evaluation.
4) Results: A summary of the new, previously unpublished data and results.
6) Conclusions: Statement of the study's conclusion.
5. 3-5 key words which must be with small letter unless special necessity as well as a short title not exceeding 50 letters must be provided. These will be printed after abstract.
1) Big headline should be written in all capital letters.
2) Crosshead, if any, should be spelled with a capital initial.
3) Subhead, if any, should be spelled with a capital initial and italicized.
7. Paragraph: At the beginning of the first sentence, several letters of blank space should be made.
8. Manuscripts should be double spaced, on A4 paper. These should be numbered sequentially in the lower middle place.
9. Original articles are usually up to 3,000 words and 30 references with a maximum of 4 tables and figures (total).Review articles 3,000 words long, with a maximum of 4 tables and figures (total) and no more than 60 references. Excellent review articles are especially welcome.
Short communications 1,200 words long, with a maximum of 2 tables and figures (total) and no more than 15 references.
Case reports describe, in 750 words, an interesting case or cases that a general physician might encounter, in which there was some difficulty in reaching a diagnosis, and that provides a teaching point. Preferably the case should have a good illustration, 2 figures and 10 references.
Letters to the editor intended for publication should be a maximum of 500 words, 10 references, one table or figure, and should be sent to the editor at the address given.
10. After a final edited version of a paper has been approved by the editor, further changes should be limited to computer's errors, such as illegible letters, otherwise it may be necessary to make a charge. During proofreading by author, it is prohibited to revise minor corrections and polish up text at this final stage because author must submit the final version of text to the publisher from the beginning. That is proofreading is only to check up if original text is properly laid out or not.
11. Submission of a paper to the Journal will be held to imply that it represents an original contribution not previously published (except in the form of an abstract or preliminary report); that is not being considered for publication elsewhere; and that if accepted by the Journal it will not be published elsewhere in the same form without the consent of the Editors.
12. PDF file will be supplied to a corresponding author after the galley has been completed.
13. Color photograph charges. There is a 80,000 yen charge to authors for printing of each page with a color photograph.
Papers submitted should be concise and written in English in a readily understandable style. We advise the authors to seek help of English speaking people before submission. The typescript, where possible, should follow the conventional form, introduction and review of literature, materials and methods, results, discussion and summary. (When describing any drugs used, give generic names, not trade names.)
Acknowledgements, Ethical statement, Informed consent, Conflict of interest should appear at the end of the written section of the paper, before the section on References.
The author must retain a copy of the manuscript for personal use. Please note that the original manuscript and manuscript diagrams will be discarded.
Tables and figures should be so constructed as to be intelligible without reference to the text. The location of figures and tables in the galley will be laid out at the corner of the page by man in charge of layout. Please put tables and figures after references without putting tables and figures in the text.
In the interests of economy and to prevent the introduction of errors, figures will be reproduced by photo-offset means, directly from the authors' original drawings. Every table should be provided with an explanatory caption, and each column should carry an appropriate heading. Every table must be made in WORD format. Every figure should always be clearly indicated.
Currently, we ask author to make graphs, illustrations and pictures, if any and deliver them in electronic form in JPG format.
Illustrations should accompany the manuscript on a separate sheet, and legends should include all relevant details. It is not possible to reproduce prints with weak lines or damaged characters. Illustrations for reproduction should normally be about twice the final size required. Half-tones should be included only where they are essential and they should be glossy prints, mouthed on separate sheets. All photographs, charts and diagrams should be referred to as "Figures" and numbered consecutively in the order in which they are first referred to in the text.
Nomenclature: owing to the international character of the Journal no rigid rules will be observed. Each paper should be consistent within itself as to nomenclature, symbols and unit.
The initial refereeing process seldom requires more than a month (a couple of weeks). Most manuscripts accepted for publication require some revision, details of which are sent to authors. It will normally take about 6 months from receiving submission to publication (uploading PDF file to IMJ's website).
All manuscripts will be assessed through the normal refereeing process by peer referees in each section. The final decision with regard to publication will be made following consultation with our publisher, Japan University of Health Sciences.
References must include latest citations in it.
References should follow the method written below.
References are numbered in the order in which they appear in the text. At the end of the article the full list of references should give the names and initials of authors (describe authors' names up to 5. If there are more than 5, please manifest the first 3, and it must be followed by et al.). The authors' names are followed by the title of the article. The title of the journal must be abbreviated according to the style of Index Medicus (see "List of Journals Indexed," printed yearly in the January issue of Index Medicus); the year of publication; the volume number; and the first and last page numbers. References to books should give the names of any editors, the title of the book, place of publication, publisher and year.
1. International Committee of Medical Journal Editors. Uniform requirements for manuscripts submitted to biomedical journals. BMJ 1991; 302: 338-41.
2. Haynes RB, Mulrow CD, Huth EJ, Altman DG, Gardner MJ. More informative abstracts revisited. Ann Intern Med 1990; 113: 69-76.
3.Gardner MJ, Altman DG, eds. Statistics with confidence. London: BMJ, 1989.
Articles for publication, and other communications from authors should be directed to Mr. W. Uchida, secretary at the following e-mail address. Before submission, please check up the manuscript with the following CHECK LIST. Please send us one WORD file including every table and figure through e-mail as an attached file.
E-mail address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Submission charge: free
Publication charge: free
There is no need to pay any submission fee and publication fee at all from the first issue until today.
Seron Jiho-sha Co., Ltd.
Setagaya-ku, Tokyo, 154-0015